Monday, December 05, 2005

Spoke to soon



There was a suicide bombing today in Netanya-- at least 5 people killed. I'd like to say that "I'll avoid malls" or "I won't take buses" or "It didn't happen in Jerusalem" or whatever we all say to feel safer. But for sure I won't take buses, ever, but can I say I won't go shopping? That's more of a budget issue rather than a safety issue.

Today a man with a child in a stroller came up to me outside my apartment begging in Hebrew and English. It threw me off because this is a residential area, almost suburban -- except for the construction sites. Right now in Jerusalem the people who do the building are Palestinian. In Tel Aviv they're foreign workers, and during really strict border control Jerusalem will import workers from Romania or Thailand. But now, the workers are Palestinian. The man was Palestinian and he looked really desperate. During the day I'm aware of my power here as a Jew.


Here are photos of the neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home