Tel Aviv Hipsters, The Sex Rabbi and Me
I'm so freaking exhausted. I'm typing away -- Ilil is sleeping, we both crashed at 2am, I can only sleep with my eyelet cover from British Air, because Il works constantly, all night, and lives in a huge loft so the lights are on. Thank god for my snazzy eye-cover from the airplane. Really, a god send.
I had an amazing day of shooting yesterday with Avigail -- who is actually a friend of Sandi Dubowski, and shot some of his film and Ilil's film. She is smart, has great energy, communicative -- really present. A much different experience than my last shoots. The plan was to interview the Sex Rabbi and then get some pick up shots of Hot Guys in Tel Aviv (for the segment of the film where I get frustrated with Jerusalem and "go out").
Well -- the Sex Rabbi is far less nuanced and sophisticated than he thinks he is, to be honest. What is not good for me, is always good for the film... so in his own way he wanted to make sure that I asked myself hard questions -- like what is it about me that is so blind, that I went home with someone like this, etc. And this notion that a really evolved woman could heal a man with love... and that it is my duty to go to the police or else I'm colluding with my abuser. The Police. FUCK I wish there was an alternative... and I don't agree... because I did make clear how I felt about this guy -- and I told him to his face - and I still dont' think the police are the people I want to involve - even if only to file a complaint.
So this put me in a panic, and Avigail and I decided to go to the police station - it is the hugest, scariest building you've ever seen. We did some shots there -- I'm supposed to speak with a lawyer/head of the Tel Aviv rape crisis center -- but I got such a bad vibe from her -- and scheduling was nearly impossible, that I'm not sure I want to spend the money to do it... if we need it, someone can get it while I'm not here... but.... I'm not sure we need it.
This is really, really an open-ended issue.
Then we topped off our day with hot guys in Tel Aviv -- so much fun -- however, the second you try and look for them, they are nowhere to be found. But we found a few.
Then Etai, because he's cute, took me to dinner -- and we filled each other in on our social whereabouts. My encounter with the gorgeous dread locked trance dj (who is such a TYPE that I've seen 8 or 9 versions of him just yesterday....) and my encounter with the Iranian Dissident Blogger -- who developed a crush on Nancy and tried to seduce me -- I was trying to get a story out of him, but the real story is that most Israelis think this guy works for the Iranian Government, and is a spy, and playing both sides... and me the American found this 30 year old guy, sort of a bit evasive in that "pr" kind of way-- but nothing as insidious as being a spy. And 3 israelis that met him and heard him speak and read about him in every newspaper -- think he's a spy.
Am I naive? or the Israelis crazy....? That is a good question to ponder.
Then we met Yossi -- a new yossi-- a crazy German and scattered about town. Now off to digitize and figure out this police/lawyer dilemma.
I had an amazing day of shooting yesterday with Avigail -- who is actually a friend of Sandi Dubowski, and shot some of his film and Ilil's film. She is smart, has great energy, communicative -- really present. A much different experience than my last shoots. The plan was to interview the Sex Rabbi and then get some pick up shots of Hot Guys in Tel Aviv (for the segment of the film where I get frustrated with Jerusalem and "go out").
Well -- the Sex Rabbi is far less nuanced and sophisticated than he thinks he is, to be honest. What is not good for me, is always good for the film... so in his own way he wanted to make sure that I asked myself hard questions -- like what is it about me that is so blind, that I went home with someone like this, etc. And this notion that a really evolved woman could heal a man with love... and that it is my duty to go to the police or else I'm colluding with my abuser. The Police. FUCK I wish there was an alternative... and I don't agree... because I did make clear how I felt about this guy -- and I told him to his face - and I still dont' think the police are the people I want to involve - even if only to file a complaint.
So this put me in a panic, and Avigail and I decided to go to the police station - it is the hugest, scariest building you've ever seen. We did some shots there -- I'm supposed to speak with a lawyer/head of the Tel Aviv rape crisis center -- but I got such a bad vibe from her -- and scheduling was nearly impossible, that I'm not sure I want to spend the money to do it... if we need it, someone can get it while I'm not here... but.... I'm not sure we need it.
This is really, really an open-ended issue.
Then we topped off our day with hot guys in Tel Aviv -- so much fun -- however, the second you try and look for them, they are nowhere to be found. But we found a few.
Then Etai, because he's cute, took me to dinner -- and we filled each other in on our social whereabouts. My encounter with the gorgeous dread locked trance dj (who is such a TYPE that I've seen 8 or 9 versions of him just yesterday....) and my encounter with the Iranian Dissident Blogger -- who developed a crush on Nancy and tried to seduce me -- I was trying to get a story out of him, but the real story is that most Israelis think this guy works for the Iranian Government, and is a spy, and playing both sides... and me the American found this 30 year old guy, sort of a bit evasive in that "pr" kind of way-- but nothing as insidious as being a spy. And 3 israelis that met him and heard him speak and read about him in every newspaper -- think he's a spy.
Am I naive? or the Israelis crazy....? That is a good question to ponder.
Then we met Yossi -- a new yossi-- a crazy German and scattered about town. Now off to digitize and figure out this police/lawyer dilemma.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home