Monday, December 19, 2005

Is Yossi My Long Lost Shrink?

It feels that way -- our sessions are exhausting. We're trying to figure out why this dynamic keeps happening. Could be the photographer/psychologist connection or the age gap. Apparently I make all of these generalizations (a trait I get from my father) about men, Israelis, Americans, that drive him crazy -- and he demands that I be specific in my accusations and stories. And he's right, that's good advice. But I'm not speaking naively -- my memories and assumptions are built on seven years of relationships here in Israel, all kinds of relationships -- financial, romantic, professional, familial. So, its not "stam" or from nothing. Anyway, this tangent came from a discussion around what is an appropriate day rate for a cinematographer in Israel. I'm wrong -- the price I'm being quoted is suitable, I just have to bargain properly. He gave me good bargaining tips -- and doesn't understand how "bargaining" is a little baffling to Americans. Israelis bargain their health care!

I must also point out that Yossi is an incredible snob -- aesthetically, which I sort of love and love pointing out, while he accuses me of being very difficult to please.

Its also a culture shock to be hurled into such intensity - which is what I love about the place and what can be so difficult. Yesterday with Ilil in her breezy Jaffa apartment with her two cats crawling all over us, tonight with Yossi as he chain smokes and we shout over the terrible music medley the dj is playing and then tomorrow, a meeting with Anat Zuria (my hero) at 8am, to look over the draft of the script I sent out. All encounters with Anat are super intense and its now almost 4am, so facing her on no sleep is a little daunting.

In larger news, its also very strange that Israelis and Palestinians are pulling for Sharon, "the bulldozer" who apparently wants to go to the grave as a man of war and a man of peace. Will he leave the legacy of the two state solution and "peace"? Hopefully, if he doesn't die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home